- We get to reminisce with several old friends in this section - Carlo, Galdo, Chains. How did you like this? Bitter sweet or happy dance?
Happy dance! At first I thought oh no, more interludes..., but I actually love the interludes right now. I love the old friends, and I love Sabetha, but I'm probably getting ahead of us here.
- Finally, the infamous Sabetha makes a physical appearance, albeit in Locke's reminisces. What are your impressions? How do you think the romance, if there is to be one, will play out?
I adore how smitten Locke is with Sabetha. I am loving the interaction between those two (and Chains). I'm not sure that anything romantic will ever come of their relationship, but we do already know they are with each other as Gentlemen Bastards for a significant amount of time. At this point, Sabetha is starting to warm up to Locke. "Not today, at any rate," she said softly.
How do you guys feel about the scheme where Locke thought Sabetha had been kidnapped? I have mixed emotions about it. The Bastards are fiercely loyal, and to me a scheme like that would dissolve so much trust. I do see it as a moment that will shape who Locke is, though. I WILL NEVER LOSE AGAIN!
- After trying absolutely everything to save Locke, Jean still won't give up. What did you think of that little pep talk he gave Locke concerning Patience's offer of healing?
Wow. Jean made a strong point by using the image of Ezri burning so that they could live. Locke's reaction was immediate.
- Locke has a few caveats to working for the Bondsmage. Wise or just Locke grasping for some control over his life? What would you ask Patience?
It's definitely wise for Locke to make the terms of their agreement absolutely clear. Those damn Bondsmagi pop up wherever and in whomever they want. I wouldn't want to be in their debt. I'm surprised Locke will have answers at his beck and call, but that will be a great asset for him. I, personally, would ask questions about magic. There are plenty of powers I would like to yield.
- At the end of this section, we see that all is not as Patience laid it out. How much do you think Patience knows of the plot to off Locke and Jean? Do you see it interfering in the rigged election?
I don't know what to think about Patience. My first reaction is that she is unaware, but we are talking Bondsmagi here. Also, can we bring up the fact that she's the Falconer's mother? This whole Patience thing is a lot for me to wrap my head around.
Monday, October 28, 2013
Republic of Thieves | Read-along Part I
If you aren't reading or haven't read The Republic of Thieves (the third book in Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series), you probably don't want to read this post. Spoilers are sure to run rampant here. If you'd like to join in, you can find the read-along schedule here or feel free to jump in in the comments and let me know your thoughts!